Sunday, September 22, 2013

So Welcome To the Farm

My husband and I bought our farm about two years ago.  It's about 9 acres, in the middle of farm country in southern Virginia.  We spent the first year getting the house livable as it had been abandoned for some time and needed a lot of work.  The land, an over grown mess needed to wait till we could move into our home.

This year we really started looking into what we had land wise.  The house still needs a bit of work but it can wait, for now we're enjoying see what and all is hidden on our property.

We had known about our apple trees and grapes, much to my joy I found peaches last fall but wasn't in time to do anything with them.  This spring I made sure to be out there in time to cut the wilderness back from the trees so they had space and air to grow.  Then one day, while walking out to our barn I found growing happily under trees and poison ivy a strawberry patch.  Not the wild ones you find around randomly, but real ones people plant for the berries.   Again I was not in time to save the fruit for the harvest, but I can make sure their area is cleared in the spring next year.

Much of the back of our property is over grown, and I can't wait to see what other goodies are hidden back there, waiting to be rescued.

No comments:

Post a Comment